Monday, May 9, 2011

Tuesday Tip- Freezing Butter


I go through butter... a lot of butter...no I mean A LOT of butter. When I first started actively baking, it felt like I was buying butter every couple of days. Those days are over. I now buy my butter in bulk, 4 pounds at a time. I never thought I would be "that girl" who walks out of the store with her arms full of butter. Buying butter in bulk allows me to save some money (usually around $1.50/lb). While it's not a huge savings, it does add up after awhile, especially at the rate I go through it.

While there have been streaks where I probably went through 4 lbs of butter in a few days, I usually spread it out a little. I store my butter in the freezer. Here I go again with the freezer but it truly is convenient. I try to always have 1 lb in the fridge ready to use. The rest hangs out in the freezer. According to articles I've read, butter can be frozen for up to 6 months. Sometimes I'm lucky if it lasts a month.

Oh, and for the record, that's 3 sticks (3/4 of a pound) of butter sliced up waiting to become part of a batch of strawberry meringue buttercream frosting. If you haven't experienced meringue buttercream, you are missing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment